Borscht - Beetroot Soup
A gorgeous beetroot soup to indulge in
Going down with a cold? Borscht this down the hatch – this beetroot soup is unbelievably good for you (and kind of funky looking!)
- 4-5 decent sized beetroot, peeled and grated
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 carrots, cut into coins
- 5 tomatoes, diced
- 1.2 litres of vegetable stock
- 1 knob of butter
- 3 celery sticks, diced
- 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of sugar (optional)
- Salt and pepper for seasoning (optional)
- First off melt the butter and fry off the onions until their soft. Turn to a low heat and then add 2 thirds of the the beetroot, carrot and celery and cook for 5 minutes, stirring it every so often.
- Increase the heat to medium – add the garlic, tomatoes, red wine vinegar, sugar and vegetable stock and bring the mixture to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to simmering and simmer for an 1 hour or until the vegetables are soft. Add the remaining beetroot and season with salt and pepper. Leave to cool for around ten minutes.
- If you’re out to impress presentation wise, serve with a dollop of sour cream on top and a slice of rye bread.