I’ll tell you a little bit of a secret – I’ve never grown broad beans and so far, from what I can tell they’re used as a bit of an accompaniment or something you would use to bulk out a dish. All broad bean recipe suggestions are welcome please!
Broad beans, as much as you like
1 Garlic crushed
3 egg yolks
1 Tablespoon of creme fraiche
1 Teaspoon of wholegrain mustard
200g Pasta (allow for 75g-100g per person)
Salt and pepper for seasoning
1. Add the finely diced the shallots, broad beans and crushed garlic into a saucepan and fry them all off with some olive oil until they’re soft.
2. In a saucepan bring some water to the boil and start cooking the pasta.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the egg yolks, creme fraiche and wholegrain mustard – this is the basis of any carbonara sauce and it takes seconds to cook through.
4. When the pasta is cooked, add it to the saucepan containing the shallots, garlic and broad beans. Stir it around and make sure everything is distributed evenly.
5. Add the carbonara sauce and stir for around one or two minutes.