Sticky Balsamic Fried Onions
this is a great side dish to have with toad in the hole, in a burger, hot dog or to garnish a salad in the summer. Enjoy!
It’s Halloween season and here’s a cool recipe to make your onions look like worms with this sticky balsamic fried onions recipe – Mwahahahahaha!
- Half a tablespoon of vegetable oil for frying
- 3 large onions cut into rings
- Splash of water for steaming
- 1 tablespoon of Muscovado/dark brown sugar
- One crushed garlic (optional)
- 120ml diluted OXO beef stock cube
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- In a frying pan, bring the oil to a medium heat and add the onions and the crushed garlic. Move frequently and fry until they’re soft – to speed this process up, increase the heat, add a splash of water and cover. Essentially we want to try and soften the onions.
- Add the sugar and stir until the onions are a nice golden brown. Add the balsamic vinegar and increase the heat.
- Gradually incorporate the the beef stock, stir and cook until the stock is reduced. Add more sugar or balsamic vinegar to suit your tastes.
That’s it – it’s as easy as 1, 2, 3. If you do make this recipe with toad in the hole, check out my mashed potato recipe here.
Leave a Reply