Bigos - Meaty Baked Cabbage
If you want to give this recipe ago it's worth seeking out your local specialist Polish delicatessen or Polish shop in order to get hold of some authentic ingredients.
For Christmas I was lucky enough to be the recipient of a Tefal 10 in 1 Multicooker and I’ve been eager to test it out and give it a whirl.
It’s a great piece of kit and if you struggle with making a risotto like I do, this is the thing for you. I don’t want to give too much away, so click on the link and take a look. Just a quick note, if you do choose to treat yourself via the link above – I’ll earn a little something, but it won’t affect the price you pay.
- 400g – 500g smoked sausage cut into coins
- 1 large savoy cabbage cut into thin strips (or a large jar of sauerkraut)
- 4 large tomatoes cut into eights
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 tablespoon of sweet paprika
- 250g of button mushrooms cut into slices
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh dill to garnish
- First, fry off the smoked sausage, onion and carrot until the onions are soft and sausage begins to colour. Season with salt and pepper and then add the sweet paprika.
- Incorporate the mushrooms into the mix and fry for two to three minutes more.
- Add the shredded cabbage (or sauerkraut) and tomatoes into the pot and stir.
- Turn onto a medium heat, cover and cook for approximately 35-40 minutes until the cabbage is soft.
- Garnish with fresh dill.
As they say in Poland – smacznego! 🙂