This week has been quite an exciting week because my lovely new fiance, Monika appeared on BBC Surrey’s Thursday Night Supper Club with the fantastic Nicky Patrick exploring Polish cuisine.
It was an impromptu visit, but one we thoroughly enjoyed. We even made some tasty Bigos which went down a real treat! I think we’ll definitely be making Bigos more often as I didn’t know just how easy it is to make.
Without further ado – here is the show in all it’s glory!
How to make Bigos
1 large jar of sauerkraut
2 chopped onions
1 crushed clove of garlic
2 bay leaves
250-300g smoked sausage, cut into slices
50g diced smoked bacon
2 tablespoons of tomato puree
1 tablespoon of honey
1 teaspoon of paprika
30g of dried mushrooms hydrated with warm water
4 grains of whole allspice
- Empty the sauerkraut into a large saucepan and add water, not too much, just enough to cover the cabbage in the pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a medium temperature and cook for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a separate frying pan, add the chopped sausage and bacon with a little bit of vegetable oil and fry until the meat just starts to colour.
- Add the onions and the garlic to the meat and fry until the onions are soft. Add the bay leaves and the all spice to the sauerkraut.
- Add the honey, tomato puree, paprika and mushrooms to the frying meat and fry for a further 3 or 4 minutes. Be sure that everything is well mixed.
- Combine the cooked meat mix into the sauerkraut and cook on a medium heat for a further hour, stirring frequently. If the mixture appears to be too dry, add a dash of water.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with crusty bread and butter.