I discovered this dish in Poland and they are comfort food personified.
Hash brown, rosti, platzki, call these what you will. This is one of those dishes that appear across the world in one shape or another.
They’re so easy to make and they are a real treat.
- 4-5 medium sized potatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil
- Grate the potatoes and the onion into bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pass the potato and onion mixture through sieve to remove some of the water content.
- Beat an egg and then add it to the mixture and stir, making sure the egg, potatoes and onions are well incorporated.
- Add a generous amount of vegetable oil to a pan and apply a medium heat.
- Take a tablespoon of the grated potato mixture and add it to the pan, patting them down to make them flat and shallow fry.
- When you add the mixture to the pan, the oil should be hot enough that it sizzles.
- After about 3-4 minutes, you should be able to flip the platzki and fry the other side for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Depending on the size of your pan, you should be able to cook around three or 4 platzki at a time.
- Once cooked, place the platzki onto a sheet of kitchen roll to soak up an excess oil.
Enjoy with sour creme or goulash 🙂