Mini rhubarb pies
delicious homemade mini rhubarb pies to help take the edge of
It wouldn’t be spring without a recipe involving some home grown rhubarb.
This recipes involves making Rhubarb Quick Jam for the filling.
- Rhubarb 10-20 stems
- Sugar (how much depends depends on the sweetness you prefer)
- Splash of water
- Juice of one orange (optional)
- Puff pastry
- One egg, beaten
- First of all, you need to make your filling so cuut all of the rhubarb in to small chunks and place into a deep, wide pan. Add a splash of water and the sugar. Roughly speaking, if you use 500g of rhubarb, you’ll need around 250g of sugar. But this really is down to your preference as to how sweet you want it.
I’m trying to cut down on my sugar intake, so I’ve been adding a tablespoon of sugar and tasting each time to get the sweetness I require. Bring the mixture to a boil and wait until it breaks down. Allow this to cool. If you can do this the day before then that’s all the better.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 Gas mark 6, 400°F, 200 fan, 180°C
- PrehRoll out the puff pastry until is it’s around 2cm thick, and line a backing tray with some cup cake holders.
- Cut out the pastry with a cake cutter, and you’ll need two different size of disks – one for the base of the pies, and a smaller one for the top of the pie.
- Line the cup cake holders with the base disks, a fill with the pies with a tea spoon of quick jam per pie. Cover the pies with the smaller shaped disks.
- Egg wash the pies and make a little hole in the top of the pie.
- Dusty the top of the pies with sugar. (Optional)
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden brown.