Google is full of rhubarb crumble recipes, but when someone suggested adding a few shots of port to the rhubarb mix when making a crumble, I was intrigued. It’s now a life hack that I’ll maintain so long as there’s port available.
Rhubarb and port crumble
There's rhubarb Crumble… And then there's Rhubarb and Port crumble!
- 450-550g of rhubarb cut up into thumbs
- 90g of sugar, either caster or granulated will do
- Approx. 3-4 tablespoons of port to taste
- 130g of flour
- 65g of butter
- 50g of soft brown sugar
- Combine the rhubarb, caster/granulated sugar and port into a saucepan and bring this to a simmer. Keep on a simmer for around 10-5 minutes and once soft, take off the heat and allow this to cool.
- Combine the flour, brown sugar and butter into a bowl and work with your fingers until everything is of a breadcrumb consistency.
- Pre-heat an oven to 200C – 180C fan – gas 6.
- Add the stewed rhubarb to a pie or crumble dish of choice.
- Spread the crumble mix over the top evenly.
- Bake in the over for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
And there we have it, Rhubarb and Port Crumble. 🙂
Serve with cream or topping of your choice 🙂 . Rhubarb is a great ingredient to use in crumble and here’s another rhubarb crumble recipe with ginger.